I’ve already written about cloth diapering, which is a good choice for health, environment and your wallet. Aiming to have a zero waste baby, let’s consider the subject of wet wipes.
Wet wipes are problem
Firstly, because they are partly made of plastic, what means they aren’t biodegradable, so they pollute our planet for many, many years.
Secondly, they are packed in this plastic.
Thirdly, they are disposable. You need to buy them (and throw into your trash bin) regularly.
But for me, the reason to avoid them is the chemicals – liquid ingredients of wet wipes. Perfumed chemicals which effects on our bodies we don’t know will go on my little baby’s skin many times a day. No.
READ ALSO: CARCINOGENIC AND HARMFUL COSMETICS ARE FACT
I have two solutions for this problem.
1. With my first Son my routine of changing diapers was:
– I prepared a small bowl with warm water and cloth wipes (at the beginning paper towel).
– I washed him with wet cloth wipes and then made the skin dry with a dry cloth wipe.
It was zero plastic.
But… what about a really zero waste baby?
2. With my second Son my routine is:
– I wash him with water and soap under a tap.
– I put him on a towel that lies on oilcloth (yes, it’s plastic but if you buy it once, you can use it for years; and I no longer use popular disposable changing mats) and make his skin dry with the towel.
It’s zero waste.
Every time when you feel bad about your routine that demands using some modern, artificial stuff, try to find a simple solution. Ask yourself, what solution to this matter have people in the past, when this stuff doesn’t exist.
You can use such attitude to laundry, cosmetics, cooking, travelling, clothes… everything.
My first article in Zero Waste Baby series: CLOTH DIAPERING – MY BEGINNINGS.
I blog with: [easyazon_link identifier=”B06XTK1LYJ” locale=”US” tag=”slowandhapp02-20″]Laptop[/easyazon_link] | [easyazon_link identifier=”B00NQGP42Y” locale=”US” tag=”slowandhapp02-20″]Phone[/easyazon_link] | Bluehost | Tailwind | Boardbooster | [easyazon_link identifier=”B019EV4QA0″ locale=”US” tag=”slowandhapp02-20″]Amazon[/easyazon_link]
Changed by: [easyazon_link identifier=”1938793188″ locale=”US” tag=”slowandhapp02-20″]Everything That Remains[/easyazon_link] | [easyazon_link identifier=”0307465357″ locale=”US” tag=”slowandhapp02-20″]The 4-Hour Workweek[/easyazon_link]
I’ve written: [easyazon_link identifier=”B016MLXM50″ locale=”US” tag=”slowandhapp02-20″]Slow Blogging[/easyazon_link]